Friday 5 July 2024

The Hazelbourne Ladies Motorcycle and Flying Club by Helen Simonson

I loved this book. I find that with most of the historical novels coming out lately that I’ve read, I tend to get turned off by the ‘hand-waving’ of consequences for breaking the social mores of the time. (This is also why I couldn’t watch a very popular Canadian mystery series – I tried watching a couple episodes with my mom and found myself gibbering at the screen.)

BUT I DIGRESS. The characters in this book are well aware of both the social mores and the consequences for breaking them. Even in 1919, class and sex mattered far more than we can understand on a gut level. So it was refreshing to read a novel that understood that.

The plot also made sense and it’s just a nice book all around. (That is not derogatory at all. Sometimes you just want ‘nice’ and low stakes.)

Definitely recommend this!

I recieved a copy from NetGalley in exchange for my unbiased opinion.

#TheHazelbourneLadiesMotorcycleandFlyingClub #NetGalley

No comments:

Post a Comment